Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Rutgers Women's Basketball

I had thought about posting about the Rutgers Women's Basketball team last week after watching them play in the semifinals and finals of the NCAA championship.
I was impressed by their polish and the way they handled themselves, on and off the court. Even in defeat, they were so classy and mature.
But I had refrained from commenting because I thought it would seem well, superficial. These were impressive and accomplished athletes, after all. Wouldn't it seem silly for me to comment in a fashion blog about how these young women always managed to look so together with their sleek ponytails and headbands.
After all, I had always thought it was a back-handed compliment when people would write about how beautiful WNBA star Lisa Leslie was. I mean, yes, she's pretty, but, she's also a heck of an athlete.
So I didn't write about Rutgers.
Then Don Imus opened his mouth. Slip of the tongue? Right.
In one foul moment, Mr. Imus sadly demonstrated that for some, no matter how polished and put together, no matter how accomplished and classy, some ignorant people will only see what they want to see.
Well, here's what I see. Rock on, Rutgers Women's Basketball team. Let's hope the world remembers you for all that you are. And yes, you ARE beautiful in addition to being very talented athletes and extremely poised.
And y'all can really rock those headbands, too!


Matee Ajavon with Coach C. Vivian Stringer after a victory at the NCAA.
Note, the headband.


Rutgers team members at a NCAA tournament press conference.
Like I said, classy.




Kia Vaughn.
How could anyone look at these young women and say what Imus said? As Coach Stringer said, what if it was your daughter?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful girls, through and through!

Margaret

April 13, 2007 at 8:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home